Starrcade '85 took place on Thursday, November 28, 1985 in two big venues - - the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, NC and the Omni in Atlanta, GA. It was also broadcast on closed-circut television to dozens of venues across the southeast, including the Louisiana Superdome where it was part of a big Mid-South Wrestling card held there promoted by Bill Watts.
In celebration of that great event on this Thanksgiving Day, and in memory of what was once a special part of many folk's Thanksgiving tradition for a several years, we take a look back at some of the memorabilia surrounding Starrcade '85. Happy Thanksgiving!
|Photograph of Ric Flair moments before ring introductions for Starrcade '85|
|Newspaper result from the event in Greensboro, NC|
- Don Kernodle defeated Tommy Lane by pinfall
- Denny Brown defeated Rocky King by pinfall to retain the NWA Junior Heavyweight Title
- Krusher Khruschev defeated Sam Houston by pinfall to win the vacant Mid-Atlantic Title
- Ron Bass defeated Black Bart by pinfall in a bullrope match
- James J. Dillon defeated Ron Bass by pinfall in a bullrope match
- "The Nature Boy" Buddy Landel defeated Terry Taylor to win the National Title
- Magnum T.A. defeated Tully Blanchard in an "I Quit" steel cage match by digging a broken chair leg into Tully's forehead to win the NWA U.S. Title
- The Rock-N-Roll Express defeated Ivan & Nikita Koloff by pinfall to win the NWA World Tag Titles
- Thunderfoot defeated The Italian Stallion by pinfall
- "Pistol" Pez Whatley defeated Mike Graham by pinfall
- "The Ragin' Bull" Manny Fernandez defeated Abdullah the Butcher in a pole match
- "The Boogie Woogie Man" Jimmy Valiant & Miss Atlanta Lively defeated The Midnight Express (Eaton & Condrey) by pinfall in a street fight match
- Billy Graham defeated The Barbarian by DQ in an arm wrestling match
- Arn & Ole Anderson defeated Wahoo McDaniel & Billy Jack Haynes by pinfall
- "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes defeated "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair by DQ in an NWA World Title match
THE MID-SOUTH CONNECTION
Mid-South Wrestling presented the closed circuit broadcast of Starrcade 85 at the Superdome in New Orleans along with some of their big main events at the time.
Mid-South main events live in the Superdome as part of Starrcade '85:
- Jake "The Snake" Roberts vs. Humongous with Sir Oliver Humperdink
- The Hacksaws: Butch Reed & Jim Duggan vs. Dick Slater and Buzz Sawyer